Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Sweet Music

Our house was broken into a few years back right before Christmas. It was the middle of the night and our dog, Lucas went crazy. When I finally woke up and got out of bed we found Kiley's laptop, phone and wallet missing. Lucas heard them when they went for the Christmas presents under the tree. They grabbed 3 of them but dropped them in the alley behind our house. The only joy I get out of it is imagining I'm breaking into someone's house when suddenly the ferocious barking of a large dog starts running towards me. I imagine they peed in their pants a little bit that night while still in my house.

Ever since then I hear every noise made in our house. The ice maker dropping ice then refilling, the water sprinkler starting in the middle of the night, Ellie sneaking into our bedroom trying to get into our bed...etc.

So Cooper has been sleeping in a cradle next to our bed. His bedroom is upstairs but until he sleeps through the night, he'll sleep in our room so Kiley can wake up in the middle of the night and feed him while I pretend to sleep soundly on my side of the bed [wink].

In the middle of the night I'll hear Cooper making noises and they have to be the most adorable sounds I've ever heard come out of a human. It's not the kind of noise that you hear and think, "Oh no, I'll never be able to sleep with that in the background." It's the kind of noise that you hear and smile and drift right back into a cozy slumber. The only way to describe it is like someone blowing very softly into a harmonica. It's a barely audible and very short sigh almost. He'll do it over and over again. Adorable.

Other nights I'll awaken to the sound of Lucas licking himself or Jackson screaming b/c he's somehow gotten his arm to go into the collar of his shirt and all the way out of the bottom without taking it out of the sleeve.

Amazing.

No pictures this week. I'll get Kiley to email me some cute ones so I can post them.

No comments: